12.19.2009

Black and white?? Or is it grey?

A friend of mine posted on her blog about being tired of black and white and grey - tired of people just telling her what is black and white... Another friend posted about the same thing....

We need to come to the place in our lives where we step back and look at what we believe. Why do we believe it? Do I believe in God just because I have been taught that my whole life? Or do I see it for myself?

There are so many "issues" in the world that we can have an opinion about. Homosexuality, drinking, the music and movies that we subject ourselves to, divorce, drugs, etc... That's not even mentioning the things in the Word that could be "offensive"... tithing, tongues, healing, prosperity, etc...

I am an opinionated person :) I always have something to say about everything! But, I am asking myself, do my opinions line up with the Word? Is what I believe in accordance with the Word? Why don't I drink? Why am I watchful about what movies I watch? Why didn't I have sex before I was married? Why do I believe in marriage between a man and woman? Is it because my parents taught me that and Go Ministries taught me that and now my church is teaching me that? No! It's because I see those principles in the Word and I KNOW that the ONLY way I am blessed and the ONLY way I can grow in the Lord is by living my life by those standards!

The Word is FINAL! We have to make the Word first place! It doesn't matter what I think is "right" or what you think is right or what "so and so" at Walmart thinks is right... what does the Word say?

Some people say the Word is old fashioned, that's it's not politically correct, that it's not relevant. But, the Word is where the power is. If I want to see power in my life, if I want to see growth in my life, if I want to fulfill God's plan for my life - I HAVE to order my life by the Word!

It can be hard on the flesh to make the Word final authority - there are times I don't want to "love my neighbor", times when I don't want to "be the servant of all". My flesh wants to be offended, my flesh wants to have it's own way but I know that by putting what "I" want and laying down those things I will grow!

We have to ask ourselves? Do I want to grow? Do I want to change? Or do I want to stay where I am?
We can only grow by looking in the Word and seeing ourselves and then changing ourselves to line up with the Word!

Anyway, this is long and I am rambling... I'll leave you with this!

Why do you believe what you believe?

Ask yourself, not in doubt of the Word but in making sure it lines up with the Word!

4 comments:

Beckypdj said...

This is a great post Jess. We have to ask ourselves these questions. We don't want the 'traditions of men" to make up our beliefs.

Keep posting!

Landon Parker said...

I believe the WORD of GOD! That was a really good post!

Sheri said...

Amen and Amen sister!

Tracy said...

Jessica,

I commented on Mama's Fixins, too, but wanted to make sure you got the message.

I did a little research on he Daniel fast after your last comment. You are allowed to have canola oil, and that would work fine in the granola. You aren't allowed to have honey, so omit that, and the molasses. It won't be sweet at all, but that's okay. As for the dried fruit, I'd stay away from everything EXCEPT raisins. I know the dried fruit that I add to my granola has added sugar, which the Daniel fast wants you to stay away from. You can add nuts, though.

I hope that is helpful to you!