Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ, in Him I have shared His crucifixion; it is no longer I who live, but Christ the Messiah lives in me. The life I now live in the body I live by faith, reliance and complete trust in the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Colossians 2:20
If then you have died with Christ to material ways of looking at things and have escaped from the world's crude and elemental notions and teachings of externalism, why do you live as if you still belong to the world?
Ephesians 2:6
And He raised us up together with Him and made us sit down together, giving us joint seating with Him in the heavenly sphere, by virtue of our being in Christ Jesus, the Messiah, the Anointed One.
Colossians 3:1-3
If then you have been raised with Christ to a new life, thus sharing His resurrection from the dead, aim at and seek the rich and eternal treasures that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. And set your minds and keep them set on what is above, the higher things, not on the things that are on the earth. For as far as this world is concerned you have died, and your new, real life is hidden with Christ in God.
This is what I have been meditating on the past week or so...getting rid of my flesh! Just when I think I'm making progress I see how selfish and catering to the flesh I am! I am realizing that this will be a constant goal, I think I thought that someday I would just be "done" with crucifying the flesh, but the more I press towards this the more I see I have a long way to go! Sometimes it "hurts" the flesh so bad and it seems so easy to give in and satisfy the nasty flesh. But I don't want to do that anymore! God has given me grace to run my race and finish my race with joy! I can't finish in the flesh, the flesh would love to see me fail!
I love these verses together! We have been crucified with Christ, it's not me who is living anymore, the "me" died with Christ on the cross! So, if I have been crucified with Him and the old me is dead and I am dead to the things of the world, why do I continue to live like the world? Trent and I have made some major goals for what we watch (movies, TV, etc...) Since we made these goals there have been several times we've turned movies off or switched TV channels. I don't want the garbage in me anymore! A year ago I can't say that I would've turned a movie off...I would watch a movie with language and think "ok, I don't like that, I won't ever watch this movie again" but keep right on watching. I am amazed at the attitude I had, it was the attitude of the world! Even though I was crucified with Christ and a new creature, I was continuing to live like the world! Why was that ok in my mind Why was watching a movie with language or something ok to me? Why is it ok to let a little bit of the world's thinking in me? After we made our goals we were watching a movie, it was rated PG so we thought it would be ok! Well, we had to turn it off for language. I thought "oh great, we'll never be able to watch any movie! We set our goals too high!" (well, that shows you where I was!) Then I thought "the less of the world I let in, the more I will be able to hear the Spirit". Now I don't care if I can't watch a movie...big deal! I want to be able to hear and be sensitive to the Spirit's leading!
Then it says we've been raised with Him into Heavenly places! We didn't just die with Him, we raised with Him to life! So, if' I've been raised with Him, I have to set my mind on the Heavenly things! It says set your minds and KEEP them set on what is above. There is a higher way of thinking that I want to tap into! As far as this world is concerned, I have died! Dead means dead! I can't respond to the world, I can't think like the world, I can't act like the world, I have died to it! (Now, that doesn't mean we go into isolation and never reach out to the world)
But, as far as my flesh and the attitude of the world goes, that is no longer me! I have died to that and have received new life! Life that is hidden in Christ!
I am determined to lay aside those things of the flesh and find that life! The flesh is dying and my Spirit is rising up in me!
7 comments:
That's a good word Jess. There is a higher way of thinking that we need to tap into and it really makes it hard when we are cluttered with crap from the world. I'm so glad we are connected to a body of believers that do not settle for a worldly way of living!
Amen! Reminds me of a story about a dad trying to teach his boys this same lesson. The boys would say, "there's just a little bit of bad stuff in this show." One day the boys came home and dad had made brownies. Just as they were about to eat them, Dad said, "Yeah, go ahead and eat them, there's just a little bit of dog poop in them." I think he got his point across, don't you?
Yes! Yes! We are all in this together, girl! Brother Hagin talked about when God started dealing with him about things like this. He said it was a maturing.
PS I love you, Jess!
PSS Becky, that's funny b/c all my kids' lives, I have talked about that story. I just look at them and say, "just a little bit of poop!" They know what it means!
great post. Totally know what you mean about crucifying the flesh, but honestly, even though it doesn't feel good, it DOES feel good! It's fun to say SHUT UP FLESH!!!!!!!!! JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAH......but seriously. It is fun. Please someone tell me you enjoy it too??
I do enjoy that! When I run and my body is screaming for me to stop it's nice to tell it to shut up!
I enjoy telling my flesh to shut up and having it listen!!! To conquer it is the best!!! Great post!
Post a Comment