Plate?" was on. It's a great show! It takes a common food and tells/shows you how "that" got on your plate! Last night the topic was potatoes! I never knew so much about potatoes! Did you know that they are the vegetable that Americans eat most and that the aver
age person in the United States eats 140 pounds of potatoes every year! That's ALOT of potatoes! They showed how they make french fries, potato chips, potato salad (in bulk) and potato vodka! How they make potato chips was
actually kind of interesting! They peel the potatoes with a HUGE machine, they don't even use a peeler, they use brushes that "brush" the peel off! Crazy huh, who knew? They said that potato chips are Americans favorite snack food and they are devoured at a rate of 1.2 billion pounds a year. That's kinda gross to me! I don't really like potato chips and I can't imagine 1.2 billion pounds of them!Well, I doubt this post benefited you in anyway! But I love shows that tell you how they make things, how things work and give you useless facts about those things, I just thought I would share those useless facts with you!
9 comments:
I can't be sure, but I'm pretty positive that do more than my share of potato eating every year. I could, and usually do eat mashed, baked, fried, and cheesy potatoes, or fries/chips with a lot of my meals.
I do really like potatoes, but we hardly ever have them! Really only Thanksgiving and Christmas...ocasionally we will have them with roast, and maybe a few times a year have french fries...we do like them, i don't know why we don't eat them more...
Oh, I love potatoes. They are good about any way you fix them!
I did the math. That equates to 2,283 pounds per minute....... or a little over 38 pounds every second of every hour of every day.
I'm thinking of a career change: Potato farm. lol
Ha! Nate and I saw that show a little while ago. It is interesting. I like potatoes and Nate really likes them. We usually do them mashed or baked w/ our meals! I don't know if we eat that much in a year though!! :)
I like shows that 'show', too! When my two oldest children were little I especially liked Mr. Rogers visiting the Crayola factory and where they made his sweater and tennis shoes! And, since I love tootsie roll pops, that is a cool factory, too! And all the potato trivia has convinced me to put some spuds on the menu with the meatloaf this Thursday night!
I love baked potatoes and actually potatoes about any way you can eat them. But we are trying to limit how many we eat since they are not great when you are trying to lose fat and build muscle. I think many Americans eat more than 140 pounds since so mnay people hit fast food places to eat with regularity.
Here's a fun fact: I used to run a potatoe peeling machine at one of my previous jobs. Quite handy when you have to peel hundreds of pounds of potatoes.
Oh Dar, I loved the Mr Rogers episode when he went to the crayon factory! I still remember it!
Post a Comment