10.08.2008

Protect Unity

Ephesians 4:3
Be eager and strive earnestly to guard and keep the harmony and oneness of [and produced by] the Spirit in the binding power of peace.

Romans 14:19
So let us then definitely aim for and eagerly pursue what makes for harmony and for mutual up building (edification and development) of one another.

Romans 12:18
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone

OK, this is something the Lord has been teaching me for quite awhile! We, as the Body of Christ, have to do everything that we can to protect unity! We have to, there are no more options! We can't afford to have our own little offenses and criticisms anymore...
Honestly, this has been something I have really struggled with...if someone would do or say something that could possibly be offensive towards me it would be really hard for me to let go of it...I felt like I had to justify myself, it has to be fair, I know I'm right! That kind of attitude...
Even if I would "let go" of it on the outside, inside I would be thinking, "well, I know I'm right, I know what they did was wrong..." I would get critical and judgemental, without even realizing it!
So, I read Ephesians 4:3 one day and it literally jumped at me! It was like there were flashing lights and arrows pointing right that the verse! I saw how I have to do what I can to protect unity! I just have to, regardless of what I feel or think...
Well, that same day something happened that made me get defensive, The other person had actually made the mistake... and I wanted to prove that I was right! I had my opinion, my rights! Immediately the Lord reminded me of Eph. 4:3...and I had a very important choice to make! I could stay mad, stay offended or I could do everything that I could to guard and keep unity.
So, with the help of the Holy Spirit :) I went to the person and apologized for making things difficult and for trying to prove that I was right! That's was really humbling! But, when I walked away I had complete peace and I knew that my relationship with that person wasn't destroyed! I can't hold on to myself and my opinion for the sake of "being right" if it means destroying unity and harmony!
Unity is so important right now, especially with our prayers! If we are not in unity or we are "holding" something against someone (it doesn't have to be big) how can we have agreement in prayer?

One way the Lord is showing me to protect unity is in Ephesians 4:29
Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word, unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] that is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it.

What is coming out my mouth about other people? It is giving grace to those who hear it?

Anyway, that's a whole different thing and I'm starting to ramble now! I was just so excited that I want to share it everyone in the blog world! :)

3 comments:

Staci said...

One day when I was vacuuming the church (I always see the people there even when they aren't and pray for them), I thought about all the times that someone had told me something about a person I would have never known and how in some cases it affected the way I viewed that person for a long time. And I thought of how I may have affected, with my words,the way others viewed someone. The Body of Christ needs to just listen to the Holy Spirit before we talk AND do what He says! :)

Anonymous said...

Jess, that was so good! I have dealt with offense or taking things the wrong way and sometimes still do but at least I now know what to do with those things. It is so important that we don't let what someone else says or does get to us. Thanks for posting this!

MsP said...

Yeah, what you said is definitely so true! Its the hardest thing to apologize, especially after holding on to something, being so convinced that I was "right."

It makes me think a lot about how often we thing we're right, when maybe there isn't even necessarily a "right" and a "wrong." Sometimes there are just two ways (or more, I suppose) of looking at things. Its a very humble act to admit that someone else could be "more" right or better at something, but it will on spur growth if we're able to admit it.