Anyway, Trent and I have been talking alot about it, and we both think that maybe a beagle would be too much for us right now, since we are both gone all day, every day. As much as I want a beagle, it may not be the best decision right now!
So, I have been looking at other options! We are thinking maybe a Golden Retriever, a Lab or possibly a springer spaniel. I am leaning more towards the retriever or the lab personally! Now, I am not generally a fan of long haired dogs, but I really like Golden Retrievers! My cousins had 2 and they were the sweetest dogs! Trent wants a dog he can train to hunt ducks. A beagle is a hound so it's not really good for duck hunting (although I think he would like to take it squirrel hunting!)
I'm just wondering, what do you think? Any experience with any of those dogs? I love labs, and I love Hugh and Olivia (my in-law's dogs) and they are springer's and I wouldn't mind trying a retriever!
Any comments about this? Or advice?
These are Golden Retriever puppies! They are so cute!!
This is a lab! Nate and Evan had one and we love it! We would probably get a yellow lab or chocolate.
This is Hugh and Olivia! We love them too!So, what do you think?
11 comments:
My parents had a Golden Retriever when we were growing up. She was the best dog that I have ever been around, or at least my favorite. Fun to play around with, yet sweet with kids. She was extremely loyal too.
Our dog Goldie is a Lab/Retriever mix. Best dog ever!! Pearl is a black lab, still a puppy. She is trying to dig her way into the house via the sheetrock in the garage. Then there is Dusty, rat terrier extraordinare.....I can't explain, you'd have to meet him to understand. Given lots of love, attention and discipline (hmm, sounds like children) any dog you guys choose will be great.
Hugh and Olivia are precious but I remember stories from PS about young ones keeping her VERY busy! I'm sure you'll make a good decision. Happy doggie quest!
Go for the yellow lab! Hey, they have a litter here coming up that we may get one from, you could too, then they would be sisters! How cool would that be?! Let me know over email if you want the website and info and I can send it to you!!
Another thing to consider is if you want the dog to be indoors at all. Golden retrievers shed a lot but are very sweet. They can be a handful. The Ericksons first golden was REALLY a challenge although she is great now.
Labs also shed a lot. Evan and Nate's first lab lived with us for a while and she too was very sweet but shed a lot.
Then there are Springers. Our first was very energetic. Hugh and Olivia are perfect though. The plus about them is that they can be shaved down to keep the shedding at a minimum.
Once you decide on the breed that will work best for you, believe God for the one that will be fun and happy but settle down when you need her/him to!! :) If I had only known to do that...
You can't go wrong with Golden Retrievers or Labs. I love both of those breeds, but I prefer the more short-haired Lab. I'm just glad that you're not getting a chihuahua or poodle or something crazy like that. No offense to you poohuahua owners.
All great points, PS!
OK you have me really wanting another dog, but it is so hard to replace our boston terrier. I think you two could be mommy and daddy to any kind of dog, your both great, and he/she would be very loved and spoiled. Labs are so beautiful, especially the chocolate ones.
Get a springer, Jess. They are very affectionate!!! Think about how much you love me Jess and how I snuggle with you...From Hughie and Olivia
I think you should get a stuffed one off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Very low maintenance!!!
I'm with you, Mo!
Post a Comment